This weeks meat printing.

We started the week with preparing for 3D scanning. Bought a raw chicken breast which we wanted to make a digital model off. First we started using an app(123DCatch) which turn several photos of the object into a digital 3D model. We didn’t succeed using this method and are hoping to do it next week using the Fuel3D scanner.

During this weeks coach meeting we discussed:
-Several 3D scanning solutions/options
-How we could find out the thickness and length of fibres in a chicken
-The possibilities of printing multiple strands or just one
-We will mainly stick to the recipe we got this far
-How to bind the strands of material we print. Maybe we need a binder or we should use less salt.
-That during printing the excess water should be drained
-How are we going to add the salt solution? Spraying or needling.
-When will we start printing? As soon as possible

The 3D printer
This is the 3D printer we are borrowing from Applied labs at IO Tu Delft.
IMG_20151008_114342

We need to make some adjustment to it, so it can print meat replacers instead of plastics. We came up with several options to make this possible.
-Using a syringe to store the recipe
-Using a needle to extrude
-Using a spray or syringe to add the salt solution
-Using a motor to control the extruding
-Using a custom made printing head to print the material

New printing recipe

Last week we did experiments with the 30% less alginate mixture. We wanted to test if it would be possible to extrude the material with a small syringe using the original recipe.
The biggest difference between those recipes is the thickness. The 30% less alginate variant is easier to handle, it’s easier to extrude in the syringe. Also we tried if a different way of mixing the powders with water would matter. So far there was no influence. In conclusion we will stick to using the recipe with 30% less alginate for easier printing.

Binding lines
First we assumed the fibres made with the syringe wouldn’t thick together, luckily they do. On the picture u can see how they stick together. But we may need to find a better way to make the fibres stick together. Now the bond is weak. At our group meeting we thought maybe we can use a food binder like mazena. This way it could become a more a solid piece and simulate the chicken breast better.

IMG_20151008_120306

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments are closed.

© 2011 TU Delft